Building the AC control units for the aquarium was truly a fun part of the project. I did find a controller on eBay that had six receptacles but the mounting was sorta weird, and there was only one of them, so I passed on it. I’m really glad I did and decided to get these. As shown on the previous page, the units have the label “MOR-PSH” on the front. I take that to mean “more fish.” Hubba-hubba.
Both of the two units have a power switch and a circuit breaker on the front panel for convenience and protection.
The manufacturers design of the rack mount power strips is pretty clean and simple so adding the Arduino relay boards was, although time consuming, pretty straight forward. I may refit one of the controllers later to add some sort of dim-able control such as triacs, SCR’s or something for the lights, but for now, I’ll stay with relays.
I disassembled each of the units and removed the black “HOT” wire running between each of the receptacles. New 14 ga wire was prepared and installed on the backs of each receptacle and pulled out to its relay board. Each wire was tinned and trimmed to about a quarter of an inch where it will go into the relay board terminal.
The second unit has only eight switched receptacles of the ten on the unit. The other two receptacles are HOT all the time (as long as the unit is powered on) and they will power the main pump and the Arduino controller computer.
[wp_bannerize group=”fish” random=”1″ limit=”1″]